Godfrey Illinois History

The village is located in the city of Monticello, Illinois, about 30 miles north of Chicago, and was originally named "Monticella" after Benjamin Godfrey, who founded the college.

The seminary of Monticello continued to attract its students, who called themselves Monti girls, and in 1935 it became Monticella College. Originally, the seminary was called "Monticesllo" because there was already a place name in central Illinois, Decatur. When Madison County opened a post office there, they called it "Monticellos," as the community had called Godfrey for most of the 19th century. Instead, it was renamed the Godfrey Post Office or Montello, and eventually renamed Godfrey.

The family settled in the area, then called Scarritt Prairie, and the first school in Godfrey Township was taught by William Scaritt, a former family member and teacher at Monticello College. After settling in the prairie near the village of Godfrey, Sc Carritt made himself at home at school and found articles about the early days of the education system. The educational opportunities of the school were open to all, but not only to the students of Monticesllo, Monti and Montis.

The property was bought by the state of Illinois in 1970 and Lewis & Clark Community College was founded the following year. CBP was founded in 1974 to begin the process of collecting and storing materials for the construction of Lewis and Clark College, the first public college in the United States.

In Illinois, he bought a stone residence built by Calvin Riley, and soon owned about 10,000 acres of land, most of which were in Godfrey Township. He continued land speculation in the 1840s until his death in 1862 and owned a large part of the land in Monticello, a town of about 1,000 inhabitants. After much discussion, his son-in-law Wade Phillips Veit agreed to sell the corner of Montgomery and the Seminary's property for $1,500. Although he owned only a small portion of it, Wyatt, Phillips and Veit began earnestly to make a permanent site for the museum a few years ago.

Abraham Lincoln carried the Monticello district in the 1860 presidential election, but he did not carry Madison and surrounding counties. When Lincoln and Douglas debated in Alton in 1858, the United States was on its way to war.

In 1833, Alton and Godfrey merged economically, but social issues, especially the issue of slavery, deeply divided the local settlers. The following decade was marked by the civil rights movement, the Civil War, and the rise of the Ku Klux Klan. In 1858 a referendum was held on whether or not a new four-year high school should be established.

In 1893, the factory was sold to Joseph Blonde and since then it has belonged to his son-in-law Bill Moyer and his wife Mary. The Bill and Moyers, part of the Godfrey - Alton County Creamery and Ice Cream Company, serves as the main source of the city's creams and ice cream shops.

Hogan then ran a trading company in Edwardsville and later moved to Alton and later St. Louis. Back in the United States, Godfrey met Winthrop S. Gilman and they formed a mercantile partnership called the Godfrey-Gilman Company. In 1832, the company opened a warehouse and order picking business in Alston, Illinois.

Godfrey and Gilman allowed a fourth printing press to be stored there, and Godfrey rented the warehouse to one of the most prominent abolitionists in the United States, Thomas Jefferson, for his printing presses. He was against slavery and had left his involvement in the slave trade behind.

The first railroad built in Madison County was the Alton-Sangamon, chartered in 1847 under the leadership of Captain Benjamin Godfrey. The railroad between Alton and Springfield, which later became part of the Chicago and Alstom railroads, was built with great difficulty.

The stations, run by blacks and whites, attracted fugitive slaves from southern Illinois, Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee. Sympathetic whites like Dr. Benjamin Franklin Long and Godfrey founded legitimate companies that provided well-disguised coverage for the subway system that stretched across central and northern Illinois.

Godfrey settled with his family in Godfrey in 1832, where he lived the rest of his life with his wife and three children in the small town of Alton, Illinois. In 1843, a retired steamship captain and businessman, who lived near Götterfrey, noticed that the thriving town of Alston had no church building. Captain Benjamin Godrey, who joined the AlTON Presbyterian Church in 1833, became a member of the church and God Frey became an elder on October 5 of that year and was named an elder on November 5, 1844 by the General Synod of St. Louis, Missouri, the first Presbyterian church in the United States.

When Godfrey moved to Illinois, he had six children, only three of whom survived, but sources are unclear when he met his wife, Harriet Cooper.

More About Godfrey

More About Godfrey